Kiddies

Lot's of people have been asking about my job so I wanted to give folks a little update. I will be the lead teacher for one of three pre-k classes (4 year olds going on 5) at the JCC. I will have one assistant (TBD) and we will have 22 kids! My first day of school is Sept. 1st. So now I am doing lots of prep-work. Over the past week and a half I've been observing/helping out/talking to teachers/meeting kids of the pre-k and 3 year old classes, which are currently in summer camp mode. This has been a helpful and non-stressful way to transition into my first day with my own class. I'm doing my best to note what seems to work well and what I like about these classes so I can integrate it into my own routine. I've also been reading books, going online and just thinking a lot about my philosophy, rules, tricks, songs, activities and physical classroom. The teacher before me left my room slightly cluttered and chaotic so cleaning and organizing the space has and will be a big task. I feel a little nervous (and excited of course) at this point - but I know once we get into the swing of things it'll all work out great. Any teachers out there that want to suggest any resources or give any words of advice are MORE than welcome. :)

My first day with one group of 5 year olds...
Annika: "Miss Sarah, where are you from?"
Me: "I'm from Boston, which is all the way on the other side of the country."
Annika: "Like, where the wild things are?"
Maddie: "Like Iraq?"

0 comments:

Post a Comment